Gynecology is a branch of medical science which deals with diseases and disorders related to female reproductive systems. Gynecologists deal with a variety of issues like pregnancy and childbirth, menstruation cycles, fertility, and many other problems related to girls. It is not necessary that the patient visiting gynecologist is specifically identified as female. Several hormone disorders in men are treated by gynecologists. The subcategory of gynecologists who specialize in pregnancy and childbirth are called obstetrician. Many gynecologists like Dr. Max Mongelli are available all over the US to provide help with the issues related to female reproductive organs.
When should you visit a Gynecologist?
It is recommended that women must go annual gynecological screening and they should never hesitate to visit them at any time if they are facing any problem related to reproductive parts. Some of the common scenarios which indicate that you must consult a gynecologist are listed below.
- Problem with organs which support pelvic muscles and ligaments
- Improper menstruation style or early menopause
- Any problem related to fertility
- Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Breast cancer or any cancer related to reproductive parts
- Sexuality issues like having some health problem due to a same-sex relationship
Apart from the above-mentioned, gynecologists can also provide consultancy and treatment of following general problems in females.
- Personality disorders and depression
- Thyroid disorders
Tips to Remember While Visiting a Gynecologist
- You should avoid sexual acts and other interactions with your vagina like using tampons or vaginal douche before 2 days of visit to the gynecologist.
- Some of the gynecological examinations can be uncomfortable, but they are never painful
- If you have periods during the day of the visit, then you should postpone your appointment unless you have problems specifically related to periods.
- If it is your first visit, you can have a general talk with the doctor and get an idea about what to expect from them in the future.
- You should give exact details of your lifestyle and sexual activities to get better results from gynecologists.
It is very important to take care of your reproductive health. Especially for females who can have severe complications, it becomes very much necessary to consult a gynecologist at an early stage of any problem. You should choose a gynecologist very carefully and make sure whether the doctor is certified for practicing gynecology or not. If you can get reviews from the patients of a doctor, that can help a lot in choosing a doctor.