Endometriosis is a pain and infertility inducing condition caused when the uterine lining grows outside it’s cavity. There is no prescribed cure and managing symptoms, primarily pelvic pain is the best approach in managing this lifelong condition.
Apart from surgery, which still doesn’t relieve chronic pain, there are a variety of other non medical treatments one can try to reduce painful symptoms.
Dr. Max Mongelli, Honorary associate at the University of Sydney is a world renowned physician who has written various articles on gynaecology and obstetrics. He suggests the following steps to reduce the symptoms of the condition:
- Practice stress reducing exercises, meditation and music therapy to calm down the mind , which may help in calming the effects of the pain. The first step is to stop concentrating and thinking about the pain.
- Try acupuncture as it increases blood flow and regulates pelvic and abdominal pain.
- Therapeutic massages improve the pain effects as it stimulates blood flow to the desired pelvic areas. Besides, who does not like massages?
- Ask your doctor for the latest on the counter medical prescriptions to help control pain factors. Don’t take any medication yourself without consulting your doctor. Max Mongelli says that though they temporarily relieve pain there may be side effects.
- Get some beauty sleep! Studies have shown that sleeping well helps control endometriosis. Try to sleep for 7-8 hours at a stretch and take naps when you feel tired.
- Stay away from Cannabis products- While CBD edibles are known to usually reduce stress and calm down users it is advisable to stay away from products that contain any kind of cannabinoid content as its effects are not yet completely studied and known by doctors. Stay away from edibles with high THC content at any cost including marijuana.
- One of the best and oldest pieces of advice anyone can offer regarding uterine issues is to stay active and eat healthy. Exercising at least 30 minutes a day improves your overall health, keeps your body fit and helps in managing symptoms of the condition better. Mild exercises like walking and yoga are also ideal.
- Eat three nutritional meals a day with healthy snacks in between . Avoid junk food at any costs. Make sure you consume an overall balanced diet. Take vitamins, minerals or other nutritional supplements if required.
Endometriosis is a condition that causes pain both physically and mentally, but by following these steps you can improve the quality of your life.